Archuleta's father, Jeff Archuleta, owner of Arch Consulting Group, a VAR in Salt Lake City, has come under scrutiny from Hollywood gossip site TMZ.com, which charges the father with being an overbearing stage dad who exerts too much control over 17-year-old son David Archuleta.
When American Idol judge Simon Cowell Tuesday said on the show that he didn't believe David Archuleta chose the song "You're The Voice" for himself, the gossip sites were quick to blame father Jeff Archuleta and stir the angry stage dad rumors again.
The intensity of the coverage concerned American Idol executives enough to do something about it, said a friend of father Jeff Archuleta. As a result, Wednesday's show dedicated airtime to allow David Archuleta to explain why he chose the song himself. While the show steered away from directly addressing the rumors or mentioning father Jeff Archuleta, the conversation on song choice was intended to stop the negative stories about Jeff, the friend said.
Jeff Archuleta has been surprised by the negative press and hopes Wednesday night's show will put the rumors to rest, the friend continued.
"He really just wants the focus to go back on David," the friend said. "He is there to support and take care of his son. David is only 17."
American Idol doesn't allow contestants or family members to speak to the press about the show, but sources close to the Archuleta family told us Tuesday that David did indeed choose that song himself. In fact, David Archuleta had wanted to sing "You're The Voice" on 80's night, but American Idol wasn't able to obtain the rights in time, people close to the family told us.
As long as David Archuleta remains in the competition, Jeff Archuleta will stay with him in Los Angeles and stay in touch with his employees via phone and email, an Arch Consulting Group employee said. Jeff is still involved in the business, but he has turned the day to day operations over to staff while he and son David are in Los Angeles, they said.
- Juniper Honors 12 Americas Partners
- Facebook And Four More Web Sites We Love To Hate
- Cisco Honors Top Partners During 2010 Partner Summit
- HP Salutes Top Partners At APC 2010 Award Show
- Upclose And Personal With AMD And friends
- Will Oracle's Phillips' Affair Revelation Be A Distraction?
- Apple, Microsoft Unlikely Allies Against Google
- HP-Microsoft Cloud Partnership Needs To Show Us The Goods
- Blog: It's Time For A Cybercrime Public Service Announcement
- Nortel Sell-Off Continues: Ethernet Business To Ciena?
- Want To Deploy Exchange 2007 SP2 In A Server 2008 R2 Domain? Sorry
- Apple Improves iTunes 9 With Syncing, Visual Enhancements
- Oracle Ad Refutes Sun Hardware Fears
- U.S. Copyright Chief Rips Google Book Deal In Testimony
- Apple Slashes iPod Price Tags
- Price Is Right? Asus To Launch Low-Cost E-Reader
- Microsoft Xbox 360 Consoles Fail More Often Than Wii, PS3
- Privacy Group To Congress: Stop Online Advertisers In Their Tracks
- Microsoft, Intel Tout Their Collaboration On Windows 7
- Tech Data Adds Integration Services With New Center