Among iRobot's accomplishments is the creation of the series of Roomba vacuum cleaners and other cleaning robots for consumers. iRobot also just yesterday landed a $200 million contract with the U.S. Army to create a series of military robots, according to a statement on the iRobot Web site.
Brooks will still remain a member of iRobot's board, however. Brooks will also take a leave of absence from his position as Panasonic Professor of Robotics in the Electrical Engineering & Computer Science Department at MIT.
"Just as computers we interact with personally (e.g., desktops, laptops, PDAs, cellphones) transformed our lives over the last 25 years, so, too, will robots transform our lives over the coming 25," said Brooks in a recent issue of MIT news.
Heartland Robotics, based in Cambridge, Mass., will focus on the manufacture of industrial worker robots.
"I want to effect a powerful evolution in the world's labor markets, and my current focus is to develop low-cost robots that will empower American workers," Brooks said in a statement released on his personal Web site.
Meanwhile, the Heartland Robotics Web site currently consists of only one Web page.
"Heartland Robotics is combining the power of computation -- embodied in robots -- and the extraordinary intelligence of the American workforce, to rehumanize and revitalize manufacturing," says a statement on the company's Web page. Aside from a front page with this statement, interested consumers can sign up for the company mailing list or inquire about a list of available jobs.
- Juniper Honors 12 Americas Partners
- Facebook And Four More Web Sites We Love To Hate
- Cisco Honors Top Partners During 2010 Partner Summit
- HP Salutes Top Partners At APC 2010 Award Show
- Upclose And Personal With AMD And friends
- Will Oracle's Phillips' Affair Revelation Be A Distraction?
- Apple, Microsoft Unlikely Allies Against Google
- HP-Microsoft Cloud Partnership Needs To Show Us The Goods
- Blog: It's Time For A Cybercrime Public Service Announcement
- Nortel Sell-Off Continues: Ethernet Business To Ciena?
- Want To Deploy Exchange 2007 SP2 In A Server 2008 R2 Domain? Sorry
- Apple Improves iTunes 9 With Syncing, Visual Enhancements
- Oracle Ad Refutes Sun Hardware Fears
- U.S. Copyright Chief Rips Google Book Deal In Testimony
- Apple Slashes iPod Price Tags
- Price Is Right? Asus To Launch Low-Cost E-Reader
- Microsoft Xbox 360 Consoles Fail More Often Than Wii, PS3
- Privacy Group To Congress: Stop Online Advertisers In Their Tracks
- Microsoft, Intel Tout Their Collaboration On Windows 7
- Tech Data Adds Integration Services With New Center