Page 2 of 2
Dupler urged IT executives attending the summit to look at the new cloud computing services paradigm as an "opportunity" rather than a "threat." At the heart of the cloud computing services model is a bid to reverse the long-established standard of about 70 percent of IT budgets being spent on IT infrastructure with the remaining 30 percent on technology innovation.
That would amount to a whopping $250 billion of a total $600 billion in annual domestic IT spending moving from "maintaining and building infrastructure" to improving competitiveness and business processes with game changing applications, said Dupler.
"The jobs are going to follow the money," asserted Dupler. "Our business model is going to follow the money. The people who don't follow the money aren't going to be around anymore."
With many IT executives threatened by the loss of jobs that comes with moving to a cloud computing services model, Dupler stressed that "right-sizing IT infrastructure" isn't an end in itself, but rather about "infrastructure that should run as effectively, flexibly and resilently as possible at the best price."
Dupler said that IT skill sets need to change in the cloud computing services era away from maintaining infrastructure to game changing business services. "You have to change what you are doing," he told IT executives. "Over the next five to seven years, the world is going to look a lot different. What cloud (computing services) is bringing to the market is IT price performance and business agility."
Whether customers and businesses embrace the new cloud computing services paradigm or stubbornly stick with the old paradigm will determine "winners and losers over the next five years," said Dupler. "Are you going to lead, follow, or get out of the way. Standing on the sidelines is probably not a good strategy."
Dupler said hardware centric business models from solution providers, customers and IT distributors are under attack in the cloud computing service era. "This is not about the physical world anymore," he said. "It is about services."
GreenPages is responding to the tectonic shift with an all-out cloud computing services offensive aimed at assisting customers in the journey to the cloud. "Customers need an impartial trusted advistor who understands what is going on and can help them through some, if not all, of the journey."
GreenPages is investing heavily in what Dupler called the "right people and resources to make sure we maintain a leadership position" in cloud computing services. "We fully intend to make our living on being cloud builders," he said.
In fact, he said GreenPages aims to become a private label cloud provider layering technologies on top of the cloud providing additional value and business grade service level agreements that are more sophisticated than anything telecommunications giants can provide customers.
"In the future this is about integrating service platforms," said Dupler. "It is helping you turn internal IT into a service platform itself and integrating various service platforms."
<< Previous | 1 | 2