Dave Letterman, the Late Show host who has been making jokes about Apple and its gadgets for years, has provided the Apple employee who lost the prototype iPhone 4G a list of 10 excuses he may want to use when talking to his boss about the incident.
Letterman, famous for his Top Ten lists, used his show on Wednesday night to offer the excuses for Gary Powell, the Apple engineer who supposedly left a prototype iPhone 4G in a bar by accident.
In the segment, which can be viewed on YouTube, Letterman listed the "Top Ten Excuses of the Guy Who Lost the iPhone Prototype" as:
10. "Couldn't call Apple for help because I lost my iPhone"
9. "I'm more of a Kindle guy"
8. "You mean besides being drunk out of my mind?"
7. "Distraught Kate Gosselin kicked off 'Dancing with the Stars'"
6. "Thought there was an app that would wisk it back to my house"
5. "It must have fallen out of my iPants"
4. "Volcanic ash! Run!"
3. "Let's just blame Goldman Sachs"
2. "At least I didn't lose my finger like that iPad Guy"
1. "It didn't work anyway—it uses AT&T"
Letterman has been parodying Apple for years. For instance, two years ago, he made fun of the imminent release of the iPhone by showing a "prototype" of the "iPhone Nano" that was about the size of a thumb, cost $1100, had enough battery power for one call, and could act as a breath mint.
Three weeks ago he shared his "Top Ten Questions to Ask Yourself Before Standing in Line For the iPad," which included as the number one question, "Can't Apple invent something that will wait in line for me?"