Page 2 of 2
Mike Hadley, CEO of Boston, Mass.-based solution provider iCorps, said that despite all of the announcements, Apple will still be playing catch-up in enterprise.
"The only reason enterprises have iPads is because they bought them when Apple was the only tablet player," Hadley said.
Apple CEO Tim Cook told audience members at Tuesday's event that 81 percent of tablets being used in the world are iPads, leaving only 19 percent for all other tablets combined.
Hadley said he agreed consumer iPad use is high but that the tablet is lacking far behind what Windows devices like the Surface Pro have to offer for enterprise. He added that he has seen an increasing number of customers use Surface tablets as a replacement for a PC or laptop, something he has yet to see an iPad achieve.
Jonathan Dale, director of marketing at Fiberlink, a Blue Bell, Pa.-based enterprise mobility management company disagreed with Hadley.
"Looking at the phones and tablets we manage for business across the globe, we found that iPads make up over a third of all those devices," Dale wrote in an email. "The iPad is the most popular tablet among employees who use mobile devices for work, and is a very effective device for both professional and personal use."
In fact, Dale pegged Microsoft as the mobile hardware company with the biggest concern. "[Microsoft's] devices haven't been adopted in the enterprise as quickly," Dale said.
No matter how many new product releases and software updates Apple may pull out of its hat, Hadley is still disappointed with the company's insistence on competing with partners.
"The channel is where Apple really has to do some damage control," Hadley said. "They have not played well in the channel at all. Apple is just trying to take it all."
The new MacBook Pros begin shipping Tuesday, and the Mavericks operating system is available for download immediately. The iPad Air will be available Nov. 1, followed by the iPad mini later in November.