Email this article   Print article 


Alcatel-Lucent Taps Former Vodafone Exec As New CEO

By Kristin Bent
February 25, 2013    10:37 AM ET

Alcatel-Lucent has tapped Michel Combes, the former CEO of Vodafone Europe, as its new CEO.

The appointment of Combes, 51, comes just two weeks after the confirmed departure of Alcatel-Lucent's former CEO Ben Verwaayen, who had been at the helm of the struggling French telecommunications giant since September 2008.

Alcatel-Lucent said Combes will officially take the CEO position on April 1 and will join the company's board of directors, pending shareholders' approval at the Alcatel-Lucent annual meeting in May. Combes has more than 20 years of experience in the telecommunications industry, having also held the positions of chairman and CEO of TDF and CFO and senior executive vice president of France Telecom.

[Related: Alcatel-Lucent Aims For The Cloud With SDN Venture]

In his new role, Combes will be tasked with helping Alcatel-Lucent move forward with its current restructuring efforts, as the company looks to grow its cash pile and stay competitive against Cisco, Juniper and Huawei.

"It is a great pleasure for us to welcome Michel Combes to Alcatel-Lucent. As chief executive he will be responsible for delivering sustainable profitability," said Philippe Camus, Alcatel-Lucent's chairman of the board, in a statement. "His deep knowledge of the industry as well as his experience of major business and financial transformation at a worldwide level will be pivotal in helping the company pursue its aggressive transformation, while meeting customer needs with disruptive innovation."

According to a report this month from The Wall Street Journal, some Alcatel-Lucent directors had grown frustrated with the progress of the company's turnaround under the direction of former CEO Verwaayen. Other directors, however, reportedly applauded Verwaayen's efforts to stabilize the company, including his taking nearly 2 billion Euro in loans to fuel the turnaround.

Alcatel-Lucent, which earlier this month said it took a 1.37 billion Euro (about $1.85 billion) loss for its fiscal fourth quarter, has been re-evaluating various business units as part of its restructuring. About a year ago, the company spun off Genesys, the contact center specialist it acquired in 2000.

In addition to Combes' appointment, Alcatel-Lucent said it has tapped former Nortel and Bell Canada executive Jean C. Monty as vice chairman of its board.

PUBLISHED FEB. 25, 2013

To continue reading this article, please download the free CRN Tech News app for your iPad or Windows 8 device.
Related: Videos | Slide Shows | Comments

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

More Networking

Recent Articles

Five Technology Trends IT Considers 'Game-Changers'

CommScope's 2013 Enterprise Survey Report asked more than 1,000 IT managers what they considered to be game-changing technologies in their organizations. Here's a look at the (sometimes surprising) responses.

Bon Voyage! 12 Scenes From Cisco's Velocity Event In Cannes

Cisco and its partners took to one of the most beautiful cities in the world this week for the networking giant's seventh annual Marketing Velocity event. Here are 12 scenes from the show.

Tech 10: Hot Networking Devices For 2013

Software-defined networking, mobility and the cloud has everyone in the network space upping their game. Here are 10 products that you must check out.

  More Slide Shows




Related Videos
Loading...