Building Diversity With AvePoint And Stir-frying Shrimp Fried Rice
‘Yesterday’s white rice is today’s fried rice,’ says AvePoint’s Dux Raymond Sy.
For organizations that want to build an inclusive workplace, Microsoft ISV AvePoint‘s Dux Raymond Sy shares steps to foster diversity while sharing his shrimp fried rice recipe.
Here’s a look at the finished product and the recipe is below!
Shrimp Fried Rice
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 30 mins
3-4 cups of cooked white rice
2 tbsps dark soy sauce
3 tbsps canola or avocado oil (divided)
2 eggs (beaten)
12 oz shrimp (340g, 51 to 60 size, peeled and deveined)
1 medium onion (diced)
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp sesame oil
¼ tsp ground black pepper
1 cup mixed veggies (chopped)
1 scallion (chopped)
1 tbsp Chinese Rice wine
1. Heat your wok (or non-stick pan) over medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of oil, and add the eggs, scrambling them until they’re just cooked. Use your spatula to break up the large pieces into smaller chunks. You can start scooping them up when they look like they are almost done, and put them back into the same bowl you mixed them in. Set aside. You will cook them again in the rice.
2. Heat the wok until just smoking, and spread 1 tablespoon oil around the perimeter of the wok. Spread the shrimp out in a single layer, and let them sear for 20 seconds. Stir fry the shrimp until opaque, transfer them back to their bowl, and set aside. Again, they’ll get cooked again in the rice!
3. With the wok over medium high heat, add the third tablespoon of oil, and sauté the onions until translucent. Add the rice, using your spatula to flatten and break up any remaining clumps. If the rice is cold from the refrigerator, continue stir-frying until the rice is warmed up, which will take about 5 minutes, or sprinkle a tablespoon or two of water around the rice, lower the heat slightly, and cover for one minute to let the steam do some of the work.
4. Once the rice is warmed — this is very important or the sauce will not mix as well and the color of the rice will not be as uniform — add the soy sauce, salt and pepper, and sesame oil, and mix with a scooping motion until the rice is evenly coated with the seasonings. The rice should be hot by this time. Now add the shrimp and mixed veggies, and stir fry for another 30 seconds.
5. Add the eggs and scallions and continue stir-frying the rice for another 30 seconds. Gather all of the rice into the middle of the wok to let the sides of the wok heat up. After about 20 seconds, spread the rice wine around the perimeter of the wok, and stir-fry for another 20 seconds.
Plate and serve!