Cloud Infrastructure Wars: Top 4 Vendors Grab Bigger Slice Of Growing Pie
Joseph F. Kovar
The Big Four Still Leave Plenty For The Rest To Fight Over
Synergy Research Group in July estimated that the second-quarter 2017 cloud infrastructure services business, including Infrastructure-as-a-Service, Platform-as-a-Service and hosted private cloud service, grew year over year by more than 40 percent to reach almost $11 billion.
The top four providers and their cloud offeringts -- Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, IBM Cloud and Google Cloud Platform -- collectively controlled 53 percent of the market in the second quarter of 2017, leaving the rest to fight it out for the remaining 47 percent, according to Synergy Research.
So while the rest of the vendors have a smaller share of the market, they still saw their total market grow from about $4.0 billion in the second quarter of 2016 to about $5.2 billion in the most recent quarter, giving them increased room to spar.
Here's a look behind the numbers and how the providers are doing.