High Demand For Backend, Full Stack, Frontend Software Engineers
When measured by the absolute volume of interview requests, 2020 was a very good year for software engineers looking for new positions. According to data from Hired based on interview requests via the Hired marketplace, backend, full-stack, and frontend software engineers all landed well over 50 percent of all interview requests for software engineers in 2020.
Overall, interview demands for software engineers as a whole were down slightly in 2020 over 2019, which Hired attributed to disruptions from the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic which paused hiring for one or more months.
Demand by engineering role in 2020:
* Backend software engineers landed 58% of all interview requests for software engineering roles
* Full-stack software engineers landed 58% of all requests
* Frontend software engineers landed 32%
* Data engineers landed 9%
* Mobile engineers landed 8%
* Machine learning software engineers 6%
* Search software engineers 3%
* Security and neuro-linguistic programing (NLP) software engineers both at 2%
* Computer vision, gaming, embedded, AR/VR, and blockchain software engineers as well as engineering managers all at 1%