Mobile World Congress 2020 Cancelled
Mobile World Congress 2020 in Barcelona late last week was officially cancelled because of concerns about the coronavirus.
Prior to the conference organizers cancelling the world's largest annual telecom conference, scheduled to begin February 24 in Barcelona, Spain, many of the world's largest telecom vendors had already proactively pulled out of the conference. These included Cisco Systems, Ericsson, Facebook, Intel, LG, and Sprint.
With the tech world's heavy hitters out of the lineup, the world's biggest telecom show would have been "impossible" to hold, according to GSMA Association CEO John Hoffman.
"With due regard to the safe and healthy environment in Barcelona and the host country today, the GSMA has cancelled MWC Barcelona 2020 because the global concern regarding the coronavirus outbreak, travel concern and other circumstances, make it impossible for the GSMA to hold the event," said the GSM Association, the organization that runs MWC Barcelona, said in a statement.